Thursday, February 26, 2009

Clue #15: St. Patrick & Twenty-seven Years of Teetotaling

On March 20, 2005, the Ulterior Epicure confessed that he was a teetotaler: "While I haven’t disclosed my age (I won’t, but assume I’m 'legal'), not a single person who does know my age hasn’t been absolutely floored when I tell them I’ve never had a drop of alcohol."

Since the Ulterior Epicure did disclose his age to Sylvia Rector of the Detroit Free Press, he would have been 27 when he wrote that. In the same blog entry, the Ulterior Epicure helpfully added: "Ironic, isn’t it, considering I was born on the day with perhaps the heaviest alcohol consumption in the U.S. - something my friends have always lamented because I’ve avoided bars on my birthday."

The Ulterior Epicure was born on March 17, 1978. St. Patrick's Day.

Three years after publicly reflecting on his policy of abstinence, the Ulterior Epicure was yawning over the forgettable wine pairings at Thomas Keller's per se.

No comments:

Post a Comment